Wednesday, October 7, 2009

a post that goes to the dispirited ones

I am not quite sure when was I got so smitten with photography or with art itself. I am not that skillful in art...I definitely can't sketch as well as R...nor am I as creative as T or even as daring as to venture and pursue towards the artistic pathway of life...

So, I'm guessing parents did play a very important role in nurturing these hobbies of mine. I've got my very first film camera, a Canon Prima Junior S, at the age of 6.
A camera which I used for a long time to snap every single living and non-living object. I remember shooting every single animal in the zoo and every flower in the garden and the best of it is that my parents washed out every single piece of crap that I captured. They preserved them in books of photo album and if anyone would learn to appreciate them (I don't know...maybe as a form of abstract art?), I would have a neat photo stock since the moment I possess that camera. (for your info, these photo album were 'donated' to the recycling bin when I moved to a new house..those are afterall, a result of child's plaything)

(photo courtesy of Imamon on Flickr)

Apart from photography, drawing was something I inherited by nature. My parents always tell me that they wondered where my interest in sketching came from since both of them are hopelessly lousy in this department. They are good in maths and yet I'm lacking those genes -- on the contrary, I inherited something which they have no idea in.

I'm saying it may be owing to the art supplies which they bought me as well as the Mamee Monster noodle snack that I used to have when I was a kid. It is a bad snack for youngsters due to its ingredients but heck I know. I only care that they have cute lil' Flintstones stencils in them and thankfully my parents aren't that restrictive on my diet. I get to buy the snack and after enjoying it, I'll get hold of the stencil and a pencil and later on, decorated the pale green wall of my living room.

I remember clearly that I love tattooeing Bam Bam's face all over the wall, just a little above the sofa -- a good spot rather hidden by the furniture so to avoid my Mum from discovering my artistic skill.
(photo courtesy of Wikipedia)

I draw day and night, night and day (whenever my parents went out to work), first started on walls and thereafter learnt that I can draw on papers, I filled up books of them with non-sensical lines. I love art lessons eventhough my first few master pieces aren't anything that a teacher will pin-up on the wall. I never get discouraged.

Most importantly I never get discouraged by my parents. Obviously no kid can hide any mischief from their mom for long. My Mum soon realized my creative ventures on Her walls and gave me a good lecture on them. She did but that's not what matters. She lectured and also encouraged me to draw BUT not on walls. She bought me books/sketch pads/poster colors and taught me to recycle my old notebooks (to use them as my drawing pads).


Thanks to her, I evolved from Stick-Man-drawing into creating some distinguishable objects.

*I am still an amateur trying to sharpen my skills and I will never give up,
Laugh you may but words and jests will never break my bones,
Hinder as you wish but till death do my dream and I part,
Learn I will, to do the better; it's a battle which soon to be won.*

(jibberish which I am not sure from/since where/when it flourishes within me)

I hope by chance that this post reaches to adults with kids. Nowadays, I often come across parents who either spare the cane too much and spoil their children terribly or parents who restrict their children too horribly that I have an impression that they no longer have a childhood.

I felt sorry for these children because to me, it seems like if they have lost their identity at a very young age. I do not know if it's for the better as parents always have the children's best interest in their heart, and moreover, who am I to comment? Anyhow, to me, a balance is lacking in these situations.

Therefore, I hope this article inspires uptight parents to loosen up, loosen parents to tighten up and discouraged people to be motivated.

...There is always a silver lining and plenty of faith if you will...

0 c a r r o t s: