Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Melaka

History text books in Malaysia taught us that Parameswara, an Indonesian Muslim, who came to our potato-shaped land in 1400. I don't know what happened in between that ever since then, any other races who traveled on foot or across the sea and set foot on this land was then a minority. History was a great piece of artifact from the past but modern 'heroes/heroines' have tampered and attempted to reproduce history by offering nonsense made-up stories. These people - may they rot in hell.

That is the history of my country, which in any timeline - pretty uninteresting. Perhaps, the authors tried to feed school children with uninteresting write-ups and eventually made them not to be bothered with history - with the ultimate goal of easier info-feeding process later on in their life.


Anyways, Melaka reminds me of a fort and a huge pirate ship. I didn't learn much from my textbooks other than knowing that Melaka was first colonized by the Portuguese, then the Dutch, followed by Britons and later on, the Japanese. So, that was why, I didn't realize that the Fort A. Famosa was a little square building at the bottom of the hill. Well, I kinda thought the St. Paul's Church is the Fort, until only last year. Yes, a Malaysian who have never visited the Fort everytime she visited Melaka. I can't be blamed from going for the food instead of the historical remains.







This is the warm, soft and chewy glutinous rice ball which is to be eaten with peanut bits. Super awesome food - especially the first stall on the Jonker's Street!

Melaka is also famous for their Chicken ball rice; especially the one located on the Jonker's Street as well. You wouldn't believe me until you have seen the queue with your own eyes. It is that long But, the taste of food is, well...OK. I mean, if it is to be compared with any other chicken rice, I would only give it an OK rating.

Besides that, the next common food in Melaka would be the cendol - another Awesome dessert because they use coconut sugar instead of just brown sugar. The lingering coconut aroma on your tongue is a to-die-for XD


Last time, my friend brought us to a Baba and Nyonya restaurant for some authentic cuisine - spicy petai, fried egg cencaluk etc etc. Also another awesome meal but that place itself is jam-packed. However, I have yet to try the lok-lok there (sauce type-steamboat)- maybe I will...someday. ^__^
It is only 1.5 hours drive away from KL anyways!







Geographer Cafe where there will be a live band on certain days and they also offer vegetarian dishes (not much varieties though) if you can't find any along the street. I'd also recommend one vegetarian restaurant nearby the Menara Taming Seri where you can get a lot of choices and flower infused tea. (I stay nearby too)

St, Xavier Church



I love my toy...hohoho, though I took this photo using pre-set settings



The decorated trishaws here are almost like those jeepneys in Philippines - just that they don't travel that far; their route is limited to the Fort and Jonkers






The crowd is happily watching the uncle performing some 'martial arts'



St. John's Church! I was pretty disappointed that is the only remains that we have...

0 c a r r o t s: