Thursday, September 27, 2012

Locks of Love

It just came to me as one of the thoughts which haunt me recently. The question of whether or not I should cut my hair. Maybe it's part of the resolutions for next year. Well, I have cut my hair really short some (six) years back...in 2005 or 2006...just for fun. Back then, somehow there's this hairstylist who saw my pitch black hair and asked me if I would volunteer as her model for a Redken contest. She would dye my hair pink and cut it ala pixie style.

I was in my early twenties (don't count how old am I now, I'm still in my twenties) and I went, Sure. I love my hair back then. It was a fresh cut, really. Best thing ever was that she dyed an additional layer on top of the pink and the color slowly washes off to other colors after that. So I was having a different shade of red every month from goldish pink to maroon...and then purple...haha..quite fun. The only effing thing was that she bleached my hair. She lied and told me initially that she wouldn't bleach it and that was why I agreed to the whole thing. Anyways...it was back then. That lady must be thinking that this girl here was so foolish. How would you not bleach the dye? You need to bleach it for the pink! My hair was too pitch black. Also, after the event, my store manager requested for me to either dye my hair back to a more natural color or resign. I choose the latter. I was working as a part-timer then and it was almost time for me to head back for a new semester...so yea...

Advancing now to year 2012. I think I need to start 2013 fresh again. I'm planning to look for a new job with a fresh face. So...yes, I will cut my hair short and straighten it so that I don't look like a puffed up balloon AND donate my locks to Locks of Love. I'll need at least 10 inches of hair. So, I'm thinking that I'll do it by the end of November or December.

I would love to donate them to a cancer organisation in Malaysia but, sad to say that we do not have any of them supporting this type of causes. Perhaps Malaysian cancer children do not need them? I've wrote in to the National Cancer Organisation of Malaysia and we shall see if they will respond to it.

Meanwhile, head on over to FAQ of Locks of Love if you are interested in donating your hair like I do. We are fortunate to have growing hair and need not to worry about hair loss until, probably, an old age. However, certain people may not enjoy this luxury. So, instead of letting our hair go to waste or to the garbage bin, why don't we give them away - especially when there is a need for them? The cut hair may not mean a lot to us but to children who suffer from hair loss due to chemotherapy, our hair may save their pride and give them some hope or strength to face both their life and the community. It is just a tiny means of showing these young patients that there is still hope in their situation.

Cancer can be terminal but with the appropriate care and good combination of drugs, life can be prolonged and even with a disease, these children can still sustain a healthy life. Malaysia may not have this campaign but they have it in the States and UK. What can I say? When there's a will to do it, it doesn't really matter to who/what race/where/gender you donate to (though I do hope that I can benefit our fellow Malaysians first) :)

Yes. That was what made me wanted to cut my hair short. Come...join me.

0 c a r r o t s: